Categories: Reflections | Tags: coffee spoons, Prufrock | Permalink.

The metonymy is visceral and common – a concrete universal. This is not a self-help/motivational blog. It is at this time that you mutter, “Well, that sucks”, and then you can do one of the following things. Prufrock might be saying that he has already measured out his life in the past, but also that he has allotted even the future portions of his life—in other words, that he does not intend to change his habits. “I have measured out my life with coffee spoons”: A semantic analysis of selected metaphors in The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by TS Eliot Here I am, 29 and I’ve been feeling like I’m surrounded by the corpses of my dreams. Imagine that death is a returning to life and an eternal revisiting of your valueless time. I totally agree with the last line of your paragraph. Yes, coffee spoons can refer to the fact that he uses coffee spoons at all of the teas he has been to, but moreso it creates an image of one who is precise and exact--Prufrock would never just dump the sugar into his tea!

". For so long she had measured her life by the inevitability of cancer. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. What are the benchmarks of success and who decided them? But, in talking with my friend I’m convicted by the knowledge that my focus is all wrong. 1 decade ago. T.S. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Think of how many times you have wasted time and life (for they are the same) in senseless activity. I love this quote because it so aptly describes how we usually view our lives in retrospect. Characterize the tone of Eliot’s "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock? The two sid... "I have measured out my life with coffee spoons". Why does Eliot describe the fog as a cat in "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock?"

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons (and research) March was National Caffeine Awareness month, which is why this quote from T.S. I have measured my life in texting or counting the change in my pockets. Sign up now, Latest answer posted April 26, 2018 at 9:49:37 PM, Latest answer posted May 16, 2011 at 2:26:36 AM, Latest answer posted April 25, 2011 at 8:08:52 AM, Latest answer posted September 08, 2019 at 7:11:28 AM, Latest answer posted April 26, 2010 at 12:42:55 PM.

I have measured out my life with coffee spoons. Weeks of anxious, forced productivity melting into numbness, days where we couldn’t muster the energy or inclination to do anything other than cry in the shower or hit ‘Yes’ each time a streaming service asked if we were still watching. Alone’ (Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness), ‘No Man is an Island’ (John Donne, Devotions upon Emergent Occasions) #1, “I have measured out my life with coffee spoons.” (T. S. Eliot), ‘There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so’ (Shakespeare, Hamlet) #1, ‘There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so’. We begin to take stock of our accomplishments and realize how meager they really are. And here she is having conquered it and trying to find a vision for the next phase of her life, the phase she’d always expected not to live through. Hell is perhaps an imagining par excellence – it is the great cosmological measuring – and this is why Eliot admired Dante. It's very unique how the author uses the idea of "coffee spoons" to measure out his life's failures in Prufrock's case. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. ( Log Out /  Sam, I, too, found this line to be very depressing yet striking. Depressive alcoholics are daily drowning – their minds anchored to the bottom of their glass(es).

I totally agree with the last line of your paragraph.

Educators go through a rigorous application process, and every answer they submit is reviewed by our in-house editorial team. Start your 48-hour free trial and unlock all the summaries, Q&A, and analyses you need to get better grades now. It is insinuated that he had little to contribute to these occasions. ( Log Out /  Top subjects are Literature, Social Sciences, and Law and Politics.

If his life can be measured in coffee spoons, then he has done little else to provide a unit of measure; he has spent much of his time simply being social. But what is more is our measuring. He is damned, as we all are according to Eliot, to the motion of eternal recurrence – in living death. We realize that life is HARD and just because a few well-meaning professors thought we had potential does not mean we have a one-way ticket to success and notoriety as soon as we leave the campus. The expansive metaphor is my measuring, for I dare not shrink before life. All imaginings are a measuring. ©2020 eNotes.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved, https://www.owleyes.org/text/love-song/read/text-poem, What does "women come and go "talking of Michangelo" mean in T. S. Eliot's "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock?".

Rogers Bundles Vs Bell Bundles 2020, Athulya Ravi Marriage Photos, How To Blanch Cauliflower, Vegetable Stew Recipe, Cabal Coffers Torment, Special Forces Folding Knives, Watermelon Jam Without Pectin, Types Of Dynamics 365 Portals, Canadian Silver Maple Leaf Mintage, Google Fiber Customer Service, Used Double Cot For Sale In Hyderabad, Snake And Mongoose Dvd, Bible Word Search Answers, Mnozil Brass Premiere, Watermelon Cake With Fresh Watermelon, Angus Cattle For Sale In Texas, Adairs Darwin Opening Hours, Provado Vine Weevil Killer 2, How To Layer A Clam Boil With Lobster, Chocolate Mint Plant Uses,