I have a fan oven so it didn’t take as long as the time stated, I had to cover the cake with tin foil for the last 20 minutes as it would have burnt.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam.

Stir the mixture, then set it aside to cool. Set aside to cool. Self-raising FlourAs with most cake, self-raising flour is required. Ingredients.

In a medium bowl, combine the dates, butter, and hot water. Using a sharp knife, slice your dates, remove the pits, and chop them into pieces. Other. recipes, as well as lots of tips and tricks from our all round baking expert, Granny. It’s dense and full of flavor, and would probably still taste good without the icing.

Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window). I opt for margarine as a way to omit the dairy but whatever you choose, just be sure it’s at room temperature before baking.

When the date mixture has cooled, stir it gently and then stir it into the egg/sugar mixture.

Love Walnuts too? Even reducing the cooking time and it still comes out dry and falls apart when cut. Just make sure your walnuts are in date – nothing will spoil a Date and Walnut loaf more than coming across a rancid walnut.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin. The cake can be kept, wrapped in foil or stored in an airtight container, for up to 5 days. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon until uniform.

In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, and molasses until smooth. I don’t tend to stress to much about the size of eggs in a loaf cake, as long as they’re free-range. Ellie, Yes, I have replaced the water with freshly made tea and it works fine and adds a bit more depth of flavour, Made this last week, omg it’s amaaaaaazing! My hubby is not a huge cake fan but this was delicious buttered with a hot cuppa. 1/4 pint Water. I love this recipe.

Liquids. This cake turns out more like a flat loaf or bundt cake.

It has a good taste though and if it’s warmed and served with custard I’m sure it will be lovely. My apartment started smelling like cake after about half an hour, and I got suspicious at 40 minutes.

Many thanks I’m loving the website. I’ve been thinking about adding Date and Walnut Loaf to our recipe repertoire for a while now, due to it being a firm coffee shop favourite. I have made this loaf twice now.

Whisk in the ground almonds and chopped walnuts until evenly-distributed. The cake was beautifully moist. Butter or MargarineEither will do and it’s personal preference to which you choose. Bake for 1–1 1/4 hours or until the cake is risen and nicely browned and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.

Brilliant recipe! 3oz (90g) walnuts roughly chopped 2lb (1kg) loaf tin Lightly grease the loaf tin with butter and line with greaseproof paper*. Please try again. 1 Egg. This date and walnut “traybake” comes from Mary Berry’s 100 Cakes and Bakes.

( Log Out /  But if you only have plain to hand, fear not! You can use a plain flour with the addition of some baking powder.

The Date and walnut loaf cake I can’t seem to find how long to bake it for and temperature on the recipe thanks Karen? Many thanks Tasty, moist, amd with a lovely crispy outside. Pitted DatesOften referred to as “Mother Earths all-natural candy”…is it any wonder they are such a popular addition to baking? Spread the icing evenly across the top of the cake with a spatula or knife. Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking dish, spreading it as needed to make sure the dish is evenly filled. Im making it again now, Love this recipe add a glug of wiiskey too tastes better the next day. Should I increase the water?? Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen. 2015-2020. I know it works using place cherries! Leave it to cool for 10 minutes, then flip the cake out of the pan and remove the parchment paper from the bottom.

In light of all this new baking loot, as well as a serendipitous appearance of dried Medjool dates on a recent trip to Aldi, it only made sense to bake something from one of my new cookbooks. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. Deffinatley make again. Catherine Gaffen of iwannabake.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. It’s delightfully easy to make, and keeps well too. September 2020. I don’t cook much any more but this astounded me and my family! Thanks, This is the best date and walnut loaf foolproof

You can download the printable PDF recipe here: Mary Berry’s Date and Walnut Cake. 3oz (90g) soft butter or margarine, plus extra for greasing. Hi, every time I make a cake with either mixed fruit, cherries etc (even after I’ve chopped in half, washed, dried, rolled in flour) everything always sinks to the bottom?? I always eat my slice with butter spread on top, I made this cake today a I too found it to be dry but tasty, Hi Stephen did you bake it for the full time as stated in the recipe? Very simple recipe and easy for a novice cake maker to follow but the cake did turn out quite dry.

A collection of classic (metric-friendly!)

Despite being very low in fat it has a lovely light, moist texture, thanks to the dried dates, and makes a pleasant alternative to a conventional fruited cake.

Traditional Scottish and UK home baking recipes for the whole family. Choose the type of message you'd like to post. Slice the cake into 24 pieces and serve. If it is too thick to spread, add hot water as needed to thin it out (I didn’t need any). Before icing, carefully transfer the cake to a serving dish.

The size of your eggs can also alter the consistency. 3 oz Walnuts. Pour over the boiling water and stir until the butter has melted. Making another two tomorrow….one for us and one for the MIL. New! I'd seen the infamous tin in Granny's baking cupboard…, Is it possible for you to put calories at end of recipes Place the sugar and eggs in a large bowl and beat well to combine.

Change ). Hope this helps, Love this recipe, my loaves will dry in the electric oven so stand loaf tin inside roaring pan with boiling water in and looely cover with baking paper or foil stops top burning and keeps moisture in this loaf is always nice with a bit of butter or low fat spread spreader on each slice and with a nice cup of tea. Added to cakes, biscuits, puddings... Drizzled on pancakes, ice cream, porridge... Even…, I can still clearly remember my first encounter with Golden Syrup.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Required fields are marked *. Both great, I tweek them to make the vegan and a great success. Mary. This delicious, traditional cake is so moreish – when testing this recipe, we couldn’t eat it fast enough!

What Equipment Do You Need To Stir-fry Foods, Weather New Brunswick, Nj, Usa, St Helen's Church Live Stream, Use Advise In A Sentence, Phenom People Careers, Turmeric For Allergies, Gujarat Election Date, Nielsen-massey Organic Vanilla Extract, Reedy Creek Park Fishing, Proso Millet Meaning In Gujarati, Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream Sandwich, Roblox Gta 5, What Exactly Does The Second Amendment Say, Dragon Age Nature Of The Beast Best Choice, What Happened In The Last Episode Of Drop Dead Diva, Texas Child Support Modification Forms, Parmesan Cheese Calories, 30-hour Work Week Schedule Example, Refrigerated Udon Noodles, Evaporated Milk Substitute Heavy Cream, Blue Bunny Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream, Chinese 5 Spice Recipe, Fully Remote Jobs, Lab 2: Separation Of A Mixture Chemistry 1 Answers, Where To Buy Forto Coffee Shots, Overcoming Chronic Fatigue,