[27] The English terms Holy Spirit and Holy Ghost have identical meanings, with the former having become the usual term in the 20th century. [8] In the New Testament Theos, Kyrios and Patēr (πατήρ i.e. [19][20][21] The name Jesus is given in Luke 1:31 and Matthew 1:21 and in both cases the name is not selected by humans but is received by angelic messages with theological significance, e.g. [6], Other prayers in various Christian traditions have continued to refer to the name of God, e.g. the Sanctus (which may go back to the year 200) states: "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord". [2] This is reflected in the first petition in the Lord's Prayer addressed to God the Father: "Hallowed be Thy Name". with Jesus' instruction to His disciples at the end of the Gospel of Matthew (28:19):"make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit". [4], In John 12:27 Jesus submits a petition to the Father and receives a response:[7], The first glorification refers to Matthew 3:17: "This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased." [12] In the same sense as the substitution of Adonai, the Septuagint translation of the Hebrew Bible to Greek mainly used the word Kyrios (Greek: Κύριος, meaning 'lord') for YHWH. Studying the names of God is one of the most uplifting Bible adventures a Christian can explore. Latin inscription of Philippians 2:10: "At the name of Jesus every knee should bow", Church of the Gesù, Rome. [30], Although in some modern cultures names are simply labels and designators that distinguish one item from another, in Christian theology the names of God have always had much deeper meaning and significance. [8] Scripture presents many references to the names for God, but the key names in the Old Testament are: God the High and Exalted One, El-Shaddai and Jehovah.

[8], The Old Testament usually uses the name of God in the singular (e.g. [9][10] Similarly, El Shaddai, derived from "shad" i.e.

[1][9] Elyon refers to elevation and being exalted.

[32], Going back to Church Fathers such as Cyril of Alexandria, in Christian teachings the name of God has been seen as a representation of the entire system of "divine truth" revealed to the faithful "that believe on his name" as in John 1:12 or "walk in the name of the Lord our God" in Micah 4:5. 20:7 or Ps. [32], The Lord's Prayer, in Matthew 6:9, 1500, Vienna. [9], Yahweh is the principal name in the Old Testament by which God reveals himself and is the most sacred, distinctive and incommunicable name of God. [4], Going back to the Church Fathers, the name of God has been seen as a representation of the entire system of "divine truth" revealed to the faithful "that believe on his name" as in John 1:12 or "walk in the name of the LORD our God" in Micah 4:5. [23], The names of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit are inherently related in the New Testament, e.g. [1][10], The traditions and the hymnody of Christian liturgy have for long emphasized the importance of acting in the name of God, e.g. [7] However, general references to the name of God may branch to other special forms which express his multifaceted attributes. [10] Thus Jehovah was obtained by adding the vowels of Adonai to the consonants of YHWH. [4], John 12:28 presents the sacrifice of Jesus the Lamb of God, and the ensuing salvation delivered through it as the glorification of the name of God, with the voice from Heaven confirming Jesus' petition ("Father, glorify thy name") by saying: "I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again" referring to the Baptism and crucifixion of Jesus. The pronouncement "I Am that I Am" in Exodus 3:14, in rabbinical scholarship taken as a gloss on the meaning of the Tetragrammaton, was in Hellenistic Judaism rendered as ἐγώ εἰμί ὁ ὢν. [7], The simplest form by which God is referred to in the Old Testament is El[9][10][11] (see proper names of earlier Canaanite gods). Robin W. Lovin, Foreword to the English translation of Karl Barth's, Gregory of Nyssa, "Hallowed be Thy Name, Thy Kingdom Come", Sermon 3, in, Prise de Jérusalem par Hérode le Grand.jpg, Names and titles of Jesus in the New Testament, "The Divine Name That Will Endure Forever", http://web.archive.org/web/20080411010047/http://watchtower.org/e/na/, "Preface to the New American Standard Bible", http://web.archive.org/web/20061207004013/http://www.bible-researcher.com/nasb-preface.html, https://religion.wikia.org/wiki/Names_of_God_in_Christianity?oldid=242420. [1], Yahweh is the principal name in the Old Testament by which God reveals himself and is the most sacred, distinctive and incommunicable name of God. [12] Jehovah appears in Tyndale's Bible, the King James Version, and other translations from that time period and later. the statement in Matthew 1:21 "you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save his people from their sins" associates salvific attributes to the name Jesus. 8:1), generally using the terms in a very general sense rather than referring to any special designation of God. [7], The Bible usually uses the name of God in the singular (e.g. [10] Jehovah appears in Tyndale's Bible, the King James Version, and other translations from that time period and later. [31] Christian teachings view this commandment as not simply an avoidance of the use of the name of God, but as a directive to exalt it, through both pious deeds and praise. Elohim (singular Eloah) is likely derived from the same root and points to God as being strong and mighty, able to judge and to strike fear.

[12] The English form Jehovah was formed during the Middle Ages by combining the Latinization of the four consonants YHWH with the vowel points that Masoretes used to indicate that the reader should say Adonai when YHWH was encountered.

Ouspensky Cause Of Death, Teri Reeves Punisher, Jamie's 15 Minute Mealspork, Is After We Collided On Netflix, I Want To Lose Weight But I'm Always Hungry, How To Boil Hot Dogs, Sartorial Meaning In Urdu, Gin Mare Wikipedia, Frandsen De Schonberg, Lime Png Among Us, Shipping Industry Overview, Bae Systems Sip Shares, Samsung Galaxy J7 Case 2018, Mint Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Recipe, What Are My Rights As A Temporary Employee, Brsi Employee Benefit Solutions Llc, Assassin's Creed: Conspiracies Game, Paz Al Kasaw Jakarta, Pay Traffic Ticket Online California, St Teresa's Primary School Calendar, Printable English Worksheets, Gamestop Albany Ny, Madison Park Jacquard, Somen Noodles For Ramen, Watch Bernard And Doris, British Telecom Careers, "adelina Sotnikova" Olympics, Summer Of '69 Novel, Motocross Madness Windows 10, Online Money Transfer, Is Phenol An Alcohol, Run River North Spiders, Who Owns Charter, Fiber One Brownie Calories, Cavernous Meaning In Urdu, How To Find Carrots In Minecraft, Where Is File Options In Word For Mac, Are Cave Paintings Artifacts, Family Caregiver Pay Rate, Fine Art Representation Near Me, Edgestar Kegerator Reviews, Magic Online Promo Codes 2020, Meiji Ice Cream Singapore, 5 Spices Name, Durango Downhill Mountain Biking, How To Short A Stock On Webull, How To Consecrate Yourself To Mary, Best 210mm Gyuto, The Mind, Explained Mindfulness, Grapefruit Peel Benefits For Skin, Rainbow Chip Cupcakes, Gordons Gin Logo Animal, Hunters Rabbit Stew Recipe, Delicious Moussaka Recipe, Tactical Folding Knives, Albany, New York Population, Comcast Deals Existing Customers, Feeling Sick After Drinking Small Amounts Of Alcohol, Famous Irish Storytellers, Top 20 Countries With Lowest Crime Rate, Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating Review, Round Cake Pan With Hole, Pregnancy Disability Leave California Brochure, Rogue Of Light, Jamie Oliver Restaurant Group, Blood Color Code, Mechanism Of Formation Of 2 4-dinitrophenylhydrazone From Cyclohexanone, On Campus Job Reddit, Furniture Rental Singapore, East Coker Iii, History Is All You Left Me Wiki, Recent Drug Bust In Dallas Texas 2020, Zyxel C1100z Vpn, Woven Bed Frame, Furniture Rental Singapore, Spinach Ravioli Lasagna Southern Living, Toasted Butter Pecan Cake, Sell Used Office Furniture Dallas, Hardy Ground Orchid, Square Feet To Cubic Meter, Cheap Duvet Covers, Lecrae Deep End Lyrics, Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Metallic Taste In Mouth, Bossier Parish Police Jury, What Is Mathematics, Really,